Hybrid/EV Battery Recycling
GlobalTech Environmental is a global leader in NiMH Hybrid Battery Recycling. At GlobalTech, your NiMH Hybrid will stop being dead batteries and will begin a new life as a usable commodity in the U.S.A! Processed domestically, and reused domestically!
How We Recycle NiMH Batteries
At GlobalTech Environmental, we process all of the NiMH battery cells that we obtain. Yes, we are an "End Of Life" processing facility for ALL NiMH Hybrid and Non Hybrid Cells!
How To Store NiMH Battery Waste
To properly store the NiMH battery scrap, in most cases, a Universal Waste label should be affixed to the outside of the package.
Hybrid or EV? Li-ion or NiMH?
Don't know, click on this handy hybrid list to identify all NiMH hybrid Makes/Models!
How To package WHOLE NiMH Hybrid Battery Packs
Clickable images for printer friendly sharing! *if shipping the cells out of the hybrid battery packs, then please see instructions further down the page for instructions pertaining to CELLS.
NiMH Batteries... Hazardous or Non-Hazardous? Well, it depends...
- NiMH Batteries; Non Hazardous: Nickel metal batteries are not considered to be a hazardous material if shipped in any manner (e.g. Train, Truck, OTR), EXCEPT if shipped via a vessel (overseas).
- NiMH Batteries; Hazardous (UN 3496): Nickel metal batteries are considered to be a hazardous material if shipped via a vessel (overseas). Overseas shipments of NiMH batteries are considered Hazardous and must be approved by the shipping country of origin and the receiving country of destination. The movement of Hazardous waste must also be approved by the government of ANY country that the material passes through, in route to the final destination.
How To Ship NiMH Battery CELLS
Packaging NiMH Hybrid Vehicle Battery CELLS for shipping: *if shipping whole battery packs, click on the instruction images above.
- Preventing the Touching of Terminals: Packaging methods should be used to prevent the battery terminals from touching one another or anything metal.
- Stacked on pallet in layers: Some rectangle shaped cells can easily be layered on their edges, on a pallet. This technique can have layers as high as 4 high, if done with great care, with cardboard between layers and on top. It is possible to go 5 layers high if a pallet is used on top of the 3rd layer; Strapping or wrapping the 3 layers with a skid on bottom, and on top, will allow for two more layers to easily be added on top of the upper pallet.
- Halved Gaylord Boxes: These boxes can be used for shipping Recycled NiMH batteries. Strong gaylord boxes cut in half and double stacked can be a very effective packaging technique... We add plywood between the layers and a skid on top of the cut to fit piece of plywood.
- Buckets: Buckets can be used for the hybrid sticks standing upright... double stacked.
- Strong Pallets: Put heavier gaylord boxes or containers on pallets strong enough to handle the carried load. Charges may be applied for spilled batteries and/or damaged boxes and pallets.